Seven women have reportedly lost their lives patronising a beauty salon in the Rijau LGA of Niger State on Thursday, July 30.
Spokesperson to the Niger State police command, Mr. Wasiu Abiodun, confirmed this to newsmen, saying the victims, two married women and five single ladies, had gone to the salon to make their hair in preparation for Salah when they met their untimely death.
Eyewitnesses say the women died from inhaling fumes from the generator used in the salon. The area had experienced a heavy rainfall that day, this rain affected their power supply. In order to continue servicing her customers, the salon owner reportedly switched to using a generator behind closed doors. Unfortunately, these women inhaled the fumes, causing them to choke to death. While five of them died on the spot, two others later died in the hospital.
Wasiu said the bodies have been released to the families for burial and investigations into the incident have commenced.