IT is no longer a story that Bukina Faso lost to Senegal national team by 3-1 in a tension soaked encounter. Cameroon also lost to the Pharaoh of Egypt by 3-1 on penalties after 120 minutes of play.
READ ALSO: BREAKING: GOD of Soccer against ruthless Cameroon, loses out to Egypt on penalties
Cameroon and Bukina Faso will this evening slug it out for the AFCON Third Place.
Date: 5 February 2022
Time: 20:00 local time (19:00 GMT)
Venue: Ahmadou Ahidjo Stadium, Yaoundé
Third Place Match – Burkina Faso v Cameroon
Following are the Match Facts from Opta:
● This is the fourth Africa Cup of Nations meeting between Burkina Faso and Cameroon, with the Indomitable Lions unbeaten in the three previous games (W2 D1), including a 2-1 win in this year’s group stage.
● Burkina Faso have taken their place in the third-place play-off in each of their last two AFCON tournaments (2017 and 2022), winning 1-0 against Ghana in 2017 to finish in third place that year. Their other third-place play-off was in 1998, drawing 4-4 before losing 4-1 on penalties to DR Congo.
● Cameroon are participating in their third AFCON third-place play-off, winning 5-2 against DR Congo in 1972 as a host nation and losing 2-1 to Nigeria in 1992.
● Burkina Faso have scored exactly one goal in all six AFCON matches this year, with six different players finding the net each time (Gustavo Sangaré, Hassane Bandé, Cyrille Bayala, Bertrand Traoré, Dango Ouattara and Blati Touré). The last team to have seven different scorers in a single AFCON was Ghana in 2015.
READ ALSO: BREAKING: Enterprising Senegalese team humiliates hard fighting Bukina Faso to qualify for AFCON final
● On three of the last five occasions the host nation has participated in the AFCON third-place play-off, the games have gone to penalties, with the hosts losing on pens each time: Morocco vs Algeria in 1988 (1-1, lost 4-3 on pens), Burkina Faso vs DR Congo in 1998 (4-4, lost 4-1) and Equatorial Guinea vs DR Congo in 2015 (0-0, lost 4-2 on pens).